Events planned to celebrate town's 70th birthday
Crawley New Town turned 70 in January and to mark this momentous birthday a full year of exciting events and celebrations is being planned.
Crawley Borough Council, partner organisations and community groups are all busy arranging a wide variety of fun events throughout 2017. And the vast majority will be free of charge!
Confirmed events include:
- A family fun day at K2 Crawley on Saturday 1 April, 10am-2pm
- St George’s Day (Sunday 23 April) in the High Street, from 11am
- Historic Commercial Vehicle Society London to Brighton Run, the High Street, Sunday 7 May, 8-11.30am
- 70th-themed vintage picnic at Worth Park, Sunday 28 May
- Crawley New Town: the Early Years. An exhibition of more than 200 photographs from Roger Bastable’s collection at Crawley Library from 1 June until 15 July
- Armed Forces Day in Memorial Gardens, Saturday 24 June, from 10am
- High Street Live (part of Crawley Festival), Sunday 25 June, from 2pm
- Silver Birch Singers (part of Crawley Festival), St John’s Church, Monday 26 June
- Mainstage and Cultural kitchen (part of Crawley Festival), Saturday 1 July
- Crawley Irish Festival, The Hawth, Sunday 27 August
- The opening of the new Crawley Museum in The Tree in the High Street, including never-before-seen New Town exhibits
- The reopening of Queens Square as a high quality, distinctive, adaptable and enjoyable public space
- London to Brighton Veteran Car Run, High Street, Sunday 5 November.
Lots more events are being planned, with dates being added all the time, including:
- An international cultural celebration
- The return of outdoor cinema in the High Street
- Summer music sessions
- Stargazing evening in Tilgate Park
- A 1940s ballroom dance and tea party
- A concert of music from across the past seven decades
- Various school projects to celebrate the 70 years of Crawley New Town
- Art projects and exhibitions by local artists and community groups
- Historical walks
- Christmas events.
- Councillor Michael Jones, Cabinet Member for Community Engagement at Crawley Borough Council, said: “This is already an exciting and varied programme of events to make this a spectacular year to remember for everyone in Crawley. And it’s only going to get better!
“We’re still keen to hear residents’ ideas and have grants available to help fund events. So don’t miss out, get in touch now.”
Dates and details are subject to change. Read Crawley Live, visit www.crawley.gov.uk/events, find us on Facebook or use #Crawley70 on Twitter (@crawleybc) for up-to-date information.
If you’re planning an event to mark the 70th birthday let us know by emailing email@example.com and uploading the details to our online calendar at www.crawley.gov.uk/events
The celebrations could be anything from community bake sales, 1940s themed parties, or a themed activity which remembers and celebrates any part of our town’s 70 year journey.
In addition, the council’s Open Grants scheme is open for applications for neighbourhood action. This can include events celebrating Crawley’s 70th anniversary so for more information and to apply for funding visit www.crawley.gov.uk/grants